In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Saturday 10 July 2010

The Red Chilli Hideaway


During my two nights in Kampala I am staying at the Red Chilli Hideaway on the outskirts of the capital city. It is here that I meet up with Duncan, the other Cambridge student who will be conducting research in Semliki this summer.


From the moment I arrive at the hostel I feel sure that I am going to enjoy my time in Uganda. The Red Chilli Hideaway is tucked just outside the mayhem of the city centre and so is an oasis of calm, complete with a bar, a plunge pool and even a pig!



It is at this hostel that I have my first encounter with Ugandan primates, when I encounter the numerous vervet monkeys that can frequently be found in the gardens here.


After years of dreaming, and months of planning, I am thrilled to finally be here in Uganda. I am incredibly excited to think that I will be heading to Semliki this Wednesday, and look forward to the adventures that may await me there.


Written on Tuesday 6th July

1 comment: