In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Saturday 10 July 2010

Here at last

I arrive in Uganda at 9:10 on Monday 5th, after what can certainly not be described as a pleasant flight. Not only were neither my movie screen nor my reading light working, but a small child a few rows in front of me proceeded to be spectacularly sick for almost the entirety of my first flight to Nairobi.

Unable to sleep, I therefore spent most of the journey sat staring at an image of the plane moving unbelievably slowly across the main screens, accompanied by the sound of retching and the smell of vomit.

That said, it was definitely worth the unpleasantness of the flight to get here. In fact, 11 hours of boredom and mild disgust seems a small price to pay to be sat here in Uganda ready to face 10 weeks of chimpanzee chasing!


Written on Monday 5th July

No comments:

Post a Comment