In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Animal of the week - week 1

During my stay in Uganda I have decided to do a post each week on an animal that has been of particular interest. My first 'animal of the week' is the:

Black-faced vervet monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops)


I arrived at the Red Chilli Hideaway in Kampala after Duncan and, being a primate enthusiast like myself, one of his first questions to me was "have you seen the vervets?"

The Red Chilli vervets were used to humans and so I was able to sit and watch them closely, which I did whenever possible. There were many infants and juveniles present and watching them was often hilariously funny. The infant vervets looked like they were yet to grow into their bodies and they pulled some very amusing expressions, especially when startled by the click of my camera.

Watching the inquisitive vervets started off my Ugandan primatological experience and so they have to be my first 'animal of the week'.


Written on Thursday 8th July

No comments:

Post a Comment