In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Wednesday 1 September 2010

A lazy day

A day off here in Semliki is rarely what the name would suggest. Whilst it does provide a brief respite from our toils in the forest and the opportunity for a much-appreciated lie in, the need to organise equipment, write up data, wash clothes and carry out other such tasks means that there is little time left for relaxation. Today however was an exception.

Since the arrival of David and Holly, mine and Duncan’s day off has moved to Wednesday, so that between the four of us we can ensure that someone is out searching for the chimpanzees every day of the week. Since this means that our day off now coincides fortnightly with the supply trip and its early departure, this means that the treat of a lie in for me has now reduced to just once every other week.

Having not slept in past sunrise for two weeks I was therefore very grateful for the extra few hours in bed this morning and finally emerged from my tent into the blazing sunshine and cicada chorus feeling much refreshed.

The day got better from there on, as Nadia and Keith had generously offered us the use of the safari lodge pool and so, after a late breakfast, Duncan and I set off in the direction of the lodge laden with towels, suncream, chocolate and other such poolside necessities.

We had hoped to cut the 5km journey to the lodge short by borrowing the camp bicycle, but soon discovered that attempting to cycle a rickety old bike with a passenger and several bags on the back down a narrow dirt road leaves you hot, breathless and splattered with mud but not much closer to your destination!

With cycling proving too difficult, we decided to walk the rest of the way and so set off at a brisk pace under the glaring sun with thoughts of the pristine pool spurring us on. Several kilometres, two dozen painful tsetse fly bites and one python sighting later we arrived at the lodge to find that the walk had definitely been worth it.

With no guests currently in residence, and Nadia and Keith occupied elsewhere, Duncan and I had the plush lodge and its pool to ourselves. We spent a few wonderful hours there, where I relished gliding through the cool refreshing water and relaxing at the poolside accompanied by a good book and a bar of Dairy Milk.


I soon felt more relaxed that I had done in weeks as I lay soaking up the sun with the pool glistening beside me. Eventually the time came to leave and so Duncan and I reluctantly dragged ourselves away from our luxurious surroundings and began the journey back to camp.

Upon returning to camp I continued my day of relaxation. I first sat on the verandah of our tent platform under the rich evening sun, simply enjoying the view out across the mosaic of trees with the vivid flowers and the feather duster tails of the black and white colobus monkeys dotted amongst them. Then I leant back in my deckchair and returned to my book with the sounds of hooting colobus, bird song and the hum of cicadas providing some wonderful background noise.

Today has been a truly lazy day – a rare occurrence during my time here in Uganda. As I sit writing this surrounded by the orange glow of the setting sun I feel calm and content and very appreciative of my incredible surroundings. I am now eager to get back to work with my newly recharged batteries and shall return to chimpanzee chasing tomorrow with a spring in my step ready to make the most of my remaining few weeks here in Semliki.


Written Wednesday 25th August

No comments:

Post a Comment