In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Monday 20 September 2010

The end of an amazing adventure

After two nights spent in Entebbe growing increasingly impatient for the time of my homeward flight to arrive and the long, uncomfortable plane journey itself, I have finally arrived back on British soil. I landed at Heathrow Airport early this morning and after making my way through the necessary security checks and collecting my travel-worn backpack I donned my chimpanzee-chasing hat and gratefully walked through the departure gates into the waiting arms of my sorely-missed mum and sister.

Having since reached the home that I have been half a world away from for nearly eleven weeks I now write this from the comfort of my room, surrounded by my, as yet unpacked, bags and with my head filled with wonderful memories of Uganda. After a truly incredible, but thoroughly exhausting, chimpanzee chasing adventure it is good to be home.

I am sure it will not take long for me to start missing Semliki, and that when I return to university and get stuck back into my studies I will pine for the cool, dark, peacefulness of the forest and the excitement of chasing chimpanzees as I sit bent over books with the stress of essay deadlines upon me. However, for now, I am simply glad to be back among the comforts of home and to see the family and friends who I have been absent from for so long.

With my first chimpanzee chasing adventure having come to an end my Journal is complete, and so I shall leave you here with the hope that you have enjoyed reading about my experiences as much as I have enjoyed writing them.

However, whilst my accounts of this Ugandan adventure have now reached their conclusion, you may want to keep an eye out for the return of this newly-fledged chimpanzee chaser in the not-too-distant future, as I have a feeling that this first foray into the world of chimpanzee chasing will not be my last!


Written on Friday 17th September

No comments:

Post a Comment