In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Animal of the week - week 10

Black-headed weaver (Ploceus cucullatus)

Weaver birds get their name from the fascinating behaviour that they display in the breeding season. In order to attract a mate, the male birds each painstakingly construct an impressively elaborate nest of interwoven grass, with the females surveying these nests before choosing the males whose nest exhibit the best location and craftsmanship to father their offspring.

When I arrived her in Semliki a prominent feature of the camp was the lone tree with the dry and decaying weaver nests of the previous breeding season hanging upon it like bizarre baubles. Over two months on these old nests have been ripped from the branches by male weaver birds who have returned once more to compete for the attention of the females with their nest-building efforts.

I watched with great interest as the returning males tore at their previous creations in order to make way for new nests and as they noisily competed for ownership of the best nest sites.
With territories among the branches now established the male birds can be seen from my veranda each day busily collecting the strip of grass that they will steadily amass and weave with great skill to produce the nests. It is amazing the level of dedication that goes into the males’ attempts to secure their ultimate goal – the opportunity to reproduce.

Observing the initial stages of the weavers’ nest –building process draws my thoughts to the intricately interwoven weaver bird nest that sits upon a shelf in my room at home – a much prized souvenir from a trip to Rwanda several years ago.

Whilst I am sure that the feeling experienced when gazing upon the elaborate creations of the weavers and watching their construction against the backdrop of the Rwenzoris shall not be matched by the sight of my lone nest at home, I feel I shall soon be ready to return to my much-loved room and its shelf of travelling mementos and leave the industrious weavers behind. I will be very sad to leave Semliki this Tuesday, but part of me is eager to return to family and friends with my collection of stories and snapshots in tow, and even a couple of additions for my shelf of treasures from my travels.

I have much enjoyed the way that the nest-laden tree and the activity of the weaver birds has altered as I have progressed through my time here, and the endeavours of the brightly coloured birds will be one of the many incredible memories I return home with.

I only hope that one day in the not-too-distant future I shall return to Semliki and that once again the intriguing behaviour of the black-headed weavers, my final ‘animal of the week’, will chart my time in this incredible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment