In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Saturday 7 August 2010

Success at last

After days of jumping through hoops with increasing frustration our permit situation is finally sorted. Tomorrow, after nearly a week stuck in Kampala, we can head back to camp, to my relief and delight.

With my money running low, my sinuses clogged with dirt and diesel fumes and filled with a yearning to get back to the chimpanzees I am thrilled at the thought of our return to Semliki.

I cannot wait for tomorrow morning to come and to be able to leave the hectic, noisy and dirty city behind and to get back to the beauty and tranquility of camp and to the excitement of chimpanzee chasing.

It will not be long before I am back in the forest, trekking along sun-dappled paths and following the trails of the chimpanzees. With lost time to make up for on my research project, and having spent the last few days missing Semliki terribly, I cannot wait for that time to come!

Written on Friday 6thAugust

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you back in the camp. Hope the chimpanzees were there to greet you. Mum x

    ReplyDelete