In the Summer of 2010 I shall be going to Uganda as a research volunteer on the Semliki Chimpanzee Project. I will spend ten weeks following and studying the chimpanzees of Semliki Wildlife Reserve, learning the ropes as a fledgling chimpanzee chaser. This blog will chart the memorable animals, people and events that I encounter along the way and my experiences with the stars of the trip, the Semliki chimpanzees.

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Animal of the week - week 7

Shoebill (Balaeniceps rex)

The shoebill is a large long-legged bird with a bill that somewhat resembles a giant clog. There is no other bird quite like it and taxonomists are uncertain of where to place the unique bird, with the most recent suggestion being that they are most closely related to the pelicans.

Looking at the shoebill leaves you with no doubt of the bird lineage’s origin from the dinosaurs as, with its glassy staring eyes, its powerful bill equipped with a vicious hook at its tip and even its Latin name, it reminds one of those extinct reptilian giants and wouldn’t look out of place alongside T-rex and his contemporaries. The shoebill was certainly unlike any other bird I’d ever seen and being able to sit so close to such an incredible animal was a fantastic experience.

The shoebills of Lake Albert are used to humans due to the constant presence of fishermen, meaning that the lake is one of the best places to observe the scarce birds. We definitely found this to be the case, as we were treated to the view of a lone shoebill less than five metres from our boat for well over an hour.

I spent that time watching the shoebill blissfully happy, with my camera pointed at the bird and my finger poised on the button ready to capture every posture and movement it made. The shoebill behaved brilliantly, striking numerous poses, pacing deliberately along the raft of weeds as it stalked its prey and lunging at its chosen victims with wings outstretched for balance – all in front of my eagerly waiting camera lens. For someone who is just getting to grips with photography and who loves the opportunity to take shots of wildlife it was an absolute field day!

As a keen birdwatcher I have wanted to see the shoebill for many years and so I am thrilled that my Ugandan adventure has included the opportunity to do so. The experience will no doubt rank among one of my most precious memories from this trip and so, for that reason, the shoebill is my seventh ‘animal of the week’.

No comments:

Post a Comment